ATTRACTIONS

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

PROMENADE PET DANICA

PROMENADE PET DANICA

PROMENADE PET DANICA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

ST. JEROME

ST. JEROME

ST. JEROME

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

CLOCK TOWER

CLOCK TOWER

CLOCK TOWER

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

CITADELA

CITADELA

CITADELA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

MONASTERY SAVINA

MONASTERY SAVINA

MONASTERY SAVINA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

previous arrowprevious arrow
next arrownext arrow
Slider
ATTRACTIONS

ATTRACTIONS (12)

Wednesday, 04 April 2018 12:45

MONASTERY SAVINA

Written by
The complex of the Monastery Savina is located 2 km east of Herceg Novi in the unique ambience of Mediterranean vegetation. It consists of two churches dedicated to the ascension the Virgin, the monastery dormitory with the treasury and the church of St. Sava, separated at a nearby hill. The monastery’s treasury contains extremely valuable objects – exhibits among which are distinguished: crystal cross of St. Sava from the 13th century, reliquary of the Monastery Tvrdos from 1615, Jesus shroud from 1642, the silver host tray from 1648, one chalice from 1650, the gospel of 1685, unique portrait of the Russian Emperor Peter the Great as well as a series of carved and richly handmade and decorated old throne crosses. In the monastery library there is a large number of valuable books and documents. In addition to the museum treasures that are exhibited in the treasury, Savina also has a holy miraculous icon, Mother of God, called the Virgin of Savina. This worthy icon is considered miraculous by pious people, without distinction in faith. It is credited with the salvation of the monastery when Venetian captain Grerman, sailing in by galleys under the monastery, wanted to blow it up. The icon was contributed to the monastery by the family of captain Josip Komnenovic from Topla. In addition to this icon, in the large church there is also a small icon of the Mother of God, the contribution of the Russian empress Catherine the Great. Above the doors of the Small Church of the Ascension of the Virgin, on the internal side, there is a fresco – inscription dating from 1831, whereby as the year of origin is mentioned 1030, but it is considered more likely that the church originated from the time of Kosac. On the inner walls, several layers of fresco painting were discovered and the oldest was found under the layer of frescoes is from 1565. It is believed that it was made in the middle of the 15th century since has the stylistic characteristics of painting by Lovro Dobricevic. The youngest painting is from 1831. Iconostasis is composed of several parts from different epochs. Imperial doors called “from Tvrdos” and a great Crucifixion above it was made in 1703 by Dimitrije Daskal and the temple icon of the Ascension of the Virgin was made by his son Rafailo. The great church of the Ascension of the Virgin was built from 1777 to 1799 by the master of Korcula, Nikola Foretic. The preserved documents show that in 454 workers participated in the construction in the first eight years. In architectural terms, the church is a mixture of styles from the Byzantine, Romanesque – Greek to Baroque and is a true example of a successful connection of Eastern and Western culture, which in this area has for centuries merged into remarkable works of art. Iconostasis in the church, made by iconographer from Bijelo Polje, priest Simeon Lazovic, with the help of his son Aleksej, in 1795, also represents a successful blend of traditional iconography and new baroque forms. The Great Savina Church does not have one donor. The donor are people themselves. The multiplicity of saved obituaries of some families in the church confirms this. Savina is a monastery that gained lasting respect among the surrounding population and has raised under its vaults a gallery of true monks who were great patriots, hard workers, bearers of culture and education in the time of the flourishing of the freedomary ideas of the people of this region. For years, in Savina has been run the school by many people that became famous later. Church of St. Sava is located on a hill above the dormitory and for it the tradition says that it was built by St. Sava in the 13th century. The monastery was even named after him as well as the whole place where it is located. Around the church there is a courtyard and not great cemetery with a well known viewpoint and a view that reaches even to Lovcen. It was built in the tradition of domestic sacral architecture single-apsis, 9,5m long and 6m wide and height of about 6m, with a bell-tower on the distaff and oculus above the western door. Antimins (i.e. one of the most important furnishings of the altar in many Eastern Christian liturgical traditions) originates from the time of Arsenije IV Jovanovic Sakobent, in 1740, he was consecrated by Paul, the bishop of Herzegovina and Mileseva, in 1794. The view from this place to the monastery and Boka Bay is magnificent and unforgettable.
Wednesday, 04 April 2018 12:45

CITADELA

Written by
Citadela (Macel – Mezzaluna) was built on the seashore itself, so that by its southern walls were in the sea. In 1702, Peter Angelo Mango (Pietro Angelo Mango) merged the upper part of the Lower Town with a strong wall with the Citadel and thus thick walls surrounded the entire city, as testifies the inscription, which is placed near the Capuchin monastery (today St. Leopold). Citadela with Forte Mare fortress gets the main defensive character as a fortress at the sea and the tower with the walls was built during the various invaders. Just in its foundations, the beginnings of Herceg Novi should be sought. The stone bridge above today’s promenade makes its component part. With the existing project, this fortress could be restored to its original state, just because fragments of the demolished walls are preserved around its foundations. The Citadela was ruined during the last earthquake of 1979, which was fateful for it, as the same collapsed into the sea.
Wednesday, 04 April 2018 12:45

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

Written by
The fortress called Spanjola, by the local population, retained its name up to nowadays, even though the Turks rebuilt it around 1539 – 1548, at the place where the Spanish built it, briefly conquering the city from 1538 to 1539, destroying at this place a smaller Turkish fort. About the construction of this monumental and their most well-established fortification throughout the Adriatic, the Turks left a written testimony on the inscription in the Turkish language (Turkish language until 1928 was written in Arabic letters and then in Latin letters) above the entrance to the fortress which means “This fortress according to the Sultan’s order, was built by Suleiman, the son of great Emir Selman Han, a mighty and honest knight, whose brother was Sinan-Bey, the great Vizier of the Sultan. Let him revive long years and progress in happiness and possession under the cover and with the help of the gracious God. And the poets, if some of them make this way, let them shout ecstatically , looking at me: Oh, what a beautiful edifice. ” Due to the strategic advantages of the hill Bajer, the fortress of Spanjola is situated on the northwestern side of the city at an altitude of 170 meters and dominates the entrance to the Bay of Boka. It offers a wide-ranging view of the vast territory. The fortress is surrounded by massive walls with four protruding circular bastions at the corners. The main entrance on the eastern side is secured by the outer wall, while the south side, towards the sea, is upgraded and adapted to the new fortification requirements (that is the Venetian opus), in the western part, Turkish opus and parts of the mosque are preserved. Spanjola always had the feature of military character fort until the beginning of the 20th century. In World War II, it was a prison for some time. At the end of 1988, architect Boris Dabovic from Herceg Novi, developed the conceptual program of its revitalization.
Wednesday, 04 April 2018 12:45

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

Written by

Forte Mare Fortress (The Sea Fortress) is located on the coast. It was built between the 14th and 17th century, restored in 1833 and from 1952 was reconstructed in the summer cinema. The fortress was built on solid rock, above the promenade, and within the walls there is a passage from the sea shore to the top of the fortress. On the upper side there is “SEA GATE ( Porta di Mare) with preserved fortification elements of Bosnian period. Forte Mare certainly among the most beautiful examples of fortification architecture and quite realistic assumptions are that there was a nucleus of the Old Town. Forte Mare is open to individual and group visitors every day from 9 – 20h. Ticket for individual visits is 2 Euros, while group’s ticket is 1 Euro per person.

Wednesday, 04 April 2018 12:45

CLOCK TOWER

Written by
Clock Tower – Tora was built in 1667 by order of Sultan Mahmud. During the Turkish governing this was the main gate. In the inner passage through Clock Tower there is a sculpture of Mother of God (called the “Black Madonna” because it was made of burnt wood) and a memorial to the founder of Tvrkto the First Kotromanic, which is in the form of bas-relief was made by Afran Hozic from Sarajevo. Old city clock on this tower only in 1995 was replaced by a new – electric clock, which to the city of Herceg Novi was donated by Zemun – fraternity city.
Wednesday, 04 April 2018 12:45

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

Written by

On the main square of the Old Town, Herceg Stjepan Square – which is popularly referred to as Belavista, is one of the gems of architecture from Boka, specific by architectural and artistic workmanship – church of St. Archangel Michael. The church was started to build in 1883. Many architects worked on raising the church, a project on which it was finally built, in 1905 was made by architect Milan Karlovac. The church was built of finely carved stone blocks from Korcula, and the construction was completed and the church was consecrated in 1911. By its general spatial Byzantine style concept, ornate of Romanesque-Gothic and Islamic reminiscences, this building of eclectic spirit represents an extremely successful and imaginative blend of styles and it is one of the most beautiful churches in the area. The iconostasis of white, Italian marble was made by master Bilinic from Split while icons were made by Czech painter Franjo Cigle.

Wednesday, 04 April 2018 12:45

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

Written by

Kanli Tower (Bloody Tower), a monumental fortress in the Old Town, was built by the Turks after 1539. It was built on the site and foundations of an earlier fortress. In the present size, the work of the Turkish builders has preserved, in the most part, the authentic architecture of that time. Raised at an altitude of 85m, on the north side of the city, and with its position and ramparts, the complex fortification system of the Old Town is rounded up. Dimensions of the fortress 60x70m, with corner towers of coarse domestic stone, make monumental impression. Some parts of the western wall belong to the period of early use of firearms. The Turks gave it a final appearance, while the Venetians made certain repairs and attachments after major damage, especially in 1687, when the Herceg Novi was conquered after a two-year Turkish rule. The interior of the fortress contains a well-preserved cistern, which throughout the time has lost its original purpose and became a prison cell. On its walls, we can still see numerous drawings of various types of galleasses, fish representation, crosses, coats of arms and dates. Drawings were engraved in plaster and were made out by prisoners, especially in the time of the Turks, which can be seen by the type of galleasses used by the Turks in the 16th and 17th century. The interior of Kanli Kula was restored for the first time in 1960 for the summer stage, perhaps the most beautiful open scene on the whole Adriatic coast, with a thousand of seats and an amphitheater of rare beauty and functionality. The successful adaptation was made by the architects Milorad Petijevic from Herceg Novi and Katarina Djivovic from Dubrovnik. At that time the archaeologist Ilija Pusic performed significant sondage and protective archaeological research in the scene and auditorium. The designers adhered to the values of architecture and the complete vision of the fortress walls, which could not be said for the second, complete adaptation, after the earthquake in 1979, when the interior of the fort was practically immersed. The reconstruction of the whole fortress in the existing building was carried out in the Venetian spirit, both on tower and walls, as well as on the interior. Although it has not maintained the previous spirit and the ambience of the old summer stage, contemporary functionality and artistry cannot be taken away from the present stage, although it had been achieved at the expense of the part of the cultural heritage that this object represented. The reconstruction project after the earthquake in 1979 was developed by architect Boris Ilijanic, from Herceg Novi.

Wednesday, 04 April 2018 12:45

ST. JEROME

Written by

It was built in 1856 and is located in the Old Town, on the lower square – Square Mica Pavlovic. In the same place, earlier (in the 17th century) was raised Catholic parish church, dedicated to St. Jerome patron of the town. This church was destroyed in the 19thcentury and in the same place was built the existing one but much spacious and larger. The church holds works of one of the greatest Baroque painter, Tripo Kokolja.

Wednesday, 04 April 2018 12:45

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

Written by

As part of the Institute Igalo there is a complex that once belonged to a lifetime president of SFR Yugoslavia, Josip Broz Tito. This complex is known as villa “Galeb” which was built in 1976. This villa is President Tito visited 4 times on an official visit. Visitors are able to see the places where Tito and his associates and guests held meetings, watching movies, one of the apartments in which they resided his close associates, his apartment and the apartment of his wife Joan, who are also the most exclusive part of Tito’s villa. Expected Dates for tours are: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays at 18 and 19:15 hrs. Tickets to consumption (juice, water and coffee) cost 3 euros.

Wednesday, 04 April 2018 12:45

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

Written by

The church is located in the old town, next to the church of St. Jeronim. This Catholic church was built on the orders of Jeronim Korner, in 1688, immediately after the occupation of the city by the Venetians. It was dedicated to St. Mother of God (St. Mary), and later dedicated to St. Francis. This church was served by the Friars Capuchins, two priests and two monks, chosen for special merits during the war against the Turks. Immediately to the monastery, the administration of the military hospital was settled where served Friars Capuchins. A school for young people was also in the monastery. Today it is dedicated to St. Leopol Mandic (1866 – 1942), who was born in Herceg Novi, and in 1882 he entered the Capuchin seminary and devoted himself to religious life. Leopold Mandic was proclaimed saintly in 1983 by Pope John Paul II. The day of the church is May 12, the birthday of Saint Leopold Mandic. Altar painting in the church of St. Leopold Mandic is the works of painter Ananije Verbinski from Herzegovina. Next to the church are rooms of the Franciscan sisters as well as premises of the Parish Office.

Herceg Novi Attractions

2018-04-04

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

PROMENADE PET DANICA

PROMENADE PET DANICA

PROMENADE PET DANICA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

ST. JEROME

ST. JEROME

ST. JEROME

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

CLOCK TOWER

CLOCK TOWER

CLOCK TOWER

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

CITADELA

CITADELA

CITADELA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

MONASTERY SAVINA

MONASTERY SAVINA

MONASTERY SAVINA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

previous arrow
next arrow
Slider

Test Zoutube

ATTRACTIONS
NJEGOŠEVA ULICA
The town’s main street, open to traffic and pedestrians, parallel to the city’s main boulevard. The street is named after the famous bishop and poet, who spent part of his youth in Herceg Novi, stu...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
PROMENADE PET DANICA
Promenade of Herceg Novi called “Five Danica”, in the length of 6 kilometers, stretches along the sea from Igalo to Meljine. The promenade is named after the names of five Danica, five young girls ...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC
The church is located in the old town, next to the church of St. Jeronim. This Catholic church was built on the orders of Jeronim Korner, in 1688, immediately after the occupation of the city by th...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
TITO’S VILLA GALEB
As part of the Institute Igalo there is a complex that once belonged to a lifetime president of SFR Yugoslavia, Josip Broz Tito. This complex is known as villa “Galeb” which was built in 1976. This...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
ST. JEROME
It was built in 1856 and is located in the Old Town, on the lower square – Square Mica Pavlovic. In the same place, earlier (in the 17th century) was raised Catholic parish church, dedicated to St....
Play
ATTRACTIONS
KANLI KULA FORTRESS
Kanli Tower (Bloody Tower), a monumental fortress in the Old Town, was built by the Turks after 1539. It was built on the site and foundations of an earlier fortress. In the present size, the work ...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL
On the main square of the Old Town, Herceg Stjepan Square – which is popularly referred to as Belavista, is one of the gems of architecture from Boka, specific by architectural and artistic workman...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
CLOCK TOWER
Clock Tower – Tora was built in 1667 by order of Sultan Mahmud. During the Turkish governing this was the main gate. In the inner passage through Clock Tower there is a sculpture of Mother of God (cal...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
FORTE MARE FORTRESS
Forte Mare Fortress (The Sea Fortress) is located on the coast. It was built between the 14th and 17th century, restored in 1833 and from 1952 was reconstructed in the summer cinema. The fortress w...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS
The fortress called Spanjola, by the local population, retained its name up to nowadays, even though the Turks rebuilt it around 1539 – 1548, at the place where the Spanish built it, briefly conquerin...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
CITADELA
Citadela (Macel – Mezzaluna) was built on the seashore itself, so that by its southern walls were in the sea. In 1702, Peter Angelo Mango (Pietro Angelo Mango) merged the upper part of the Lower Town ...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
MONASTERY SAVINA
The complex of the Monastery Savina is located 2 km east of Herceg Novi in the unique ambience of Mediterranean vegetation. It consists of two churches dedicated to the ascension the Virgin, the monas...
Play
previous arrow
next arrow
Slider