ATTRACTIONS

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

PROMENADE PET DANICA

PROMENADE PET DANICA

PROMENADE PET DANICA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

ST. JEROME

ST. JEROME

ST. JEROME

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

CLOCK TOWER

CLOCK TOWER

CLOCK TOWER

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

CITADELA

CITADELA

CITADELA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

MONASTERY SAVINA

MONASTERY SAVINA

MONASTERY SAVINA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

previous arrowprevious arrow
next arrownext arrow
Slider
Wednesday, 04 April 2018 12:45

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)
KANLI KULA FORTRESS KANLI KULA FORTRESS

Kanli Tower (Bloody Tower), a monumental fortress in the Old Town, was built by the Turks after 1539. It was built on the site and foundations of an earlier fortress. In the present size, the work of the Turkish builders has preserved, in the most part, the authentic architecture of that time. Raised at an altitude of 85m, on the north side of the city, and with its position and ramparts, the complex fortification system of the Old Town is rounded up. Dimensions of the fortress 60x70m, with corner towers of coarse domestic stone, make monumental impression. Some parts of the western wall belong to the period of early use of firearms. The Turks gave it a final appearance, while the Venetians made certain repairs and attachments after major damage, especially in 1687, when the Herceg Novi was conquered after a two-year Turkish rule. The interior of the fortress contains a well-preserved cistern, which throughout the time has lost its original purpose and became a prison cell. On its walls, we can still see numerous drawings of various types of galleasses, fish representation, crosses, coats of arms and dates. Drawings were engraved in plaster and were made out by prisoners, especially in the time of the Turks, which can be seen by the type of galleasses used by the Turks in the 16th and 17th century. The interior of Kanli Kula was restored for the first time in 1960 for the summer stage, perhaps the most beautiful open scene on the whole Adriatic coast, with a thousand of seats and an amphitheater of rare beauty and functionality. The successful adaptation was made by the architects Milorad Petijevic from Herceg Novi and Katarina Djivovic from Dubrovnik. At that time the archaeologist Ilija Pusic performed significant sondage and protective archaeological research in the scene and auditorium. The designers adhered to the values of architecture and the complete vision of the fortress walls, which could not be said for the second, complete adaptation, after the earthquake in 1979, when the interior of the fort was practically immersed. The reconstruction of the whole fortress in the existing building was carried out in the Venetian spirit, both on tower and walls, as well as on the interior. Although it has not maintained the previous spirit and the ambience of the old summer stage, contemporary functionality and artistry cannot be taken away from the present stage, although it had been achieved at the expense of the part of the cultural heritage that this object represented. The reconstruction project after the earthquake in 1979 was developed by architect Boris Ilijanic, from Herceg Novi.



CONTACT
Website http://hercegfest.me/
Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Address Kanli Kula, Herceg Novi
Phone 1 +382 (0) 31 323 072
Phone 2 +382 (0) 31 322 098

Additional Info

Read 15 times Last modified on Thursday, 12 April 2018 08:11

Latest from Herceg Novi Tourist Board

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

Herceg Novi Attractions

2018-04-04

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

PROMENADE PET DANICA

PROMENADE PET DANICA

PROMENADE PET DANICA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

ST. JEROME

ST. JEROME

ST. JEROME

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

CLOCK TOWER

CLOCK TOWER

CLOCK TOWER

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

CITADELA

CITADELA

CITADELA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

MONASTERY SAVINA

MONASTERY SAVINA

MONASTERY SAVINA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

previous arrow
next arrow
Slider

Test Zoutube

ATTRACTIONS
NJEGOŠEVA ULICA
The town’s main street, open to traffic and pedestrians, parallel to the city’s main boulevard. The street is named after the famous bishop and poet, who spent part of his youth in Herceg Novi, stu...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
PROMENADE PET DANICA
Promenade of Herceg Novi called “Five Danica”, in the length of 6 kilometers, stretches along the sea from Igalo to Meljine. The promenade is named after the names of five Danica, five young girls ...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC
The church is located in the old town, next to the church of St. Jeronim. This Catholic church was built on the orders of Jeronim Korner, in 1688, immediately after the occupation of the city by th...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
TITO’S VILLA GALEB
As part of the Institute Igalo there is a complex that once belonged to a lifetime president of SFR Yugoslavia, Josip Broz Tito. This complex is known as villa “Galeb” which was built in 1976. This...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
ST. JEROME
It was built in 1856 and is located in the Old Town, on the lower square – Square Mica Pavlovic. In the same place, earlier (in the 17th century) was raised Catholic parish church, dedicated to St....
Play
ATTRACTIONS
KANLI KULA FORTRESS
Kanli Tower (Bloody Tower), a monumental fortress in the Old Town, was built by the Turks after 1539. It was built on the site and foundations of an earlier fortress. In the present size, the work ...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL
On the main square of the Old Town, Herceg Stjepan Square – which is popularly referred to as Belavista, is one of the gems of architecture from Boka, specific by architectural and artistic workman...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
CLOCK TOWER
Clock Tower – Tora was built in 1667 by order of Sultan Mahmud. During the Turkish governing this was the main gate. In the inner passage through Clock Tower there is a sculpture of Mother of God (cal...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
FORTE MARE FORTRESS
Forte Mare Fortress (The Sea Fortress) is located on the coast. It was built between the 14th and 17th century, restored in 1833 and from 1952 was reconstructed in the summer cinema. The fortress w...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS
The fortress called Spanjola, by the local population, retained its name up to nowadays, even though the Turks rebuilt it around 1539 – 1548, at the place where the Spanish built it, briefly conquerin...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
CITADELA
Citadela (Macel – Mezzaluna) was built on the seashore itself, so that by its southern walls were in the sea. In 1702, Peter Angelo Mango (Pietro Angelo Mango) merged the upper part of the Lower Town ...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
MONASTERY SAVINA
The complex of the Monastery Savina is located 2 km east of Herceg Novi in the unique ambience of Mediterranean vegetation. It consists of two churches dedicated to the ascension the Virgin, the monas...
Play
previous arrow
next arrow
Slider